Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

January 14, 2010
By olivia14 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
olivia14 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How would you like going to a new high school, but all of your friends act like they don't know you? I know I wouldn't like it. The book Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson, is about a girl named Melinda who is going through a tragedy.

Melinda is your average teenager starting her first year at Merryweather High School. She's all alone. Last year in 8th grade she had many friends and was happy, but after the summer party, that's when everything changed, since then she has decided not to speak to anyone. Melinda arrived at the party with friends, but she left alone.

When Melinda gets to school, all of her friends ignore her and give her dirty looks. She doesn't understand why. Her parents always argue and aren't the nicest people in the world. And the fact that their daughter Melinda doesn't talk to them and keeps everything to herself, makes them worry about her. Melinda goes down to the counselor's office quite a few times a week. The counselor is trying to help Melinda, but nothing seems to be working. Something's just not right.

This book taught me that you shouldn't keep secrets from friends and family, especially if the secrets may harm you in the future. I love the plot of the story. A troubled teenager, going through name calling, being teased and depression. Anderson definitely pulled me in and made me want to read more. I couldn't put it down. Also, the way the characters dialogue is written, is just how teenagers speak today.

I don't always like to read, so the fact that I didn't want to put the book down was a good sign!
The language in the book was easy and simple, yet detailed. Just when the book might start to get boring, something exciting happens and keeps you reading. There is mature language in the book, but nothing too bad. I would certainly recommend Speak to anyone my age. I could read it many times and I wouldn't get bored!