Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards | Teen Ink

Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards

January 14, 2010
By momo96 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
momo96 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The horse Susan chose for adoption wouldn’t get in the trailer, but Lay Me Down, a former race horse, with her foal willingly walked up the ramp into Susan’s life. Instead of trying to get the horse she chose, in the trailer and Lay Me Down out, Susan realized that Lay Me Down had chosen her. Susan decided to keep Lay Me Down and her foal and give them a home. In the book Chosen by a Horse, Lay Me Down, weak from malnutrition and abuse, opens her heart to Susan. While caring for Lay Me Down and her foal, Susan learns to love again, not only horses but humans, too. As time goes on, life becomes challenging for Susan and Lay Me Down. But they never give up and stay together until the very end.


Susan Richards’s Chosen by a Horse is a great book about life, love and trust. I thought Chosen by a Horse would be a good book for girls 13 to 20 because it deals with more mature issues. What the author did really well was she was very detailed about how things look, feel and the mood of what’s going on, but she wasn’t overly detailed. I liked the book because I love horses, and it is very unpredicable so you have to keep reading to find out if your predictions are right. Suspenseful like and action movie but touching like a chick flick. I give it 9.5 out of 10 stars.