A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer

Heartwarming and tear jerking book, A Child Called “It”. Which is an autobiography written and lived by Dave Pelzer is a novel that shares Dave’s life experiences with an abusive mother, alcoholic father, and brothers that hated him. It shows his true courage and an amazing survival. From being beaten with a ton of bruises up and down his arms to sleeping in a garage on an army cot in the freezing cold. Dave still cared about his family. The story was based in Daly City, California where he lived most of his life. The years that the abuse took place were in the mid 1960’s to the 1970’s.

My opinion on this novel is that it’s terrific. I loved Dave’s style of writing. If I had to rate this book i would give it two thumbs up and 4.5 stars out of 5 because it was great but some of the things that I read were just too sad for me to handle. The age recommendation that i would give for this novel is probably 11 years old and older because of the abuse and the mature content. I think that Dave did a wonderful job writing/ explaining his life story. I can not wait to read the other novels that Dave Pelzer has written and i hope that you enjoy reading his books as much as i do.

AveryG13 said...
Excellent review, Valerie! I need to read this book...