Mansfield Park by Jane Austen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Mansfield Park is the tale of a young girl's stressfullife in 17th-century English society.

Fanny Price, born to a mother whomarried beneath her social state, moves to Mansfield Park, an estate owned by heraunt, Lady Bertram, and her husband, Sir Thomas Bertram. Her mother (who marrieda sailor for love) arranged this situation so Fanny could have a better life.However, this is not easy. The Bertrams have four children (Thomas, Edmund, Mariaand Julia), all of whom have been spoiled by their father. The only one who helpsFanny is Edmund, the second son who decides to become a clergyman. Thomas is theeldest, but lacks any sense of responsibility; Maria and Julia plan to marry richmen and be fashionable for the rest of their lives.

Sir Bertram leavesMansfield Park to attend to his plantations, a constant theme in the book. Whilehe is away, Henry and Mary Crawford arrive at Mansfield Park. Both strangers arecharming, but have their own agendas. Henry pursues Maria and maintains aflirtatious relationship with Julia; Edmund develops a relationship with Mary.Yet, whenever he tries to propose, something stops him.

When Maria ismarried to Mr. Rushworth, Henry focuses on Fanny to satisfy his whims. His planof diversion fails, however, when he finds himself falling in love with her. Whenhe proposes, she says no. Sir Bertram, angered by her refusal, returns her to herfamily. And that's just part of the story!

This book is a roller coasterof emotions and lively events. Even though it was published almost threecenturies ago, it depicts timeless values including true love and good versusevil. Many aspects of life can be found if the reader has the patience to gainunderstanding.

All in all, I recommend Mansfield Park to anyone who wantsto read a good dramatic epic about a young girl finding the true meaning of life..

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

alex9426 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 13, 2010 at 9:21 pm:
other than failure to use the spacebar, i found several things wrong with an otherwise great book review. first, fann'y mother did not arrange the situation; she wrote to the bertrams asking for money and they invited fanny to come live with them. second, sir thomas does not return her to her family, she goes under william's asking. third, sir thomas is not angry, he is disappointed and tries to persuade her to change her mind. other than these mistakes, i liked this review. check out my work un... (more »)