The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards | Teen Ink

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

January 5, 2010
By Jena Rohan BRONZE, Trenton, Ohio
Jena Rohan BRONZE, Trenton, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Memory Keeper’s Daughter by Kim Edwards, which was her first novel of her career, is a nonfictional story about family and relationships that takes place in 1964 during a snow blizzard in the state of Kentucky. This book was placed on the best sellers list on November 26, 2006 for six weeks straight. The book was made into a movie and was broadcasted on Lifetime on April 12, 2008.
During the blizzard, Norah, David’s wife goes into labor. David delivers his own set of twins in a private clinic with one nurse Caroline. One of the babies, the girl, has Down’s Syndrome. This does not make for a perfect family. So David has the nurse Caroline that the baby girl Phoebe to a home. He gives her the address and sends her on her way. When Norah wakes, he tells her she had twins but the girl was a still born. When Caroline arrives at the home, she is disgusted. How could she leave a baby girl on her own here? She doesn’t. She takes her home and claims her as her own. The next few years, she writes David up dating him on Phoebe’s success. David’s guilt for what he’s done puts a strain on his wife and his relationship. This incident forces him to come to terms with his sister’s death when he was younger.
This book was ok in my opinion. It was very easy to follow along with, however it didn’t catch my attention like some books. The story was sad, and I’m more into happy books. This book shows you that one secret can tear a family apart. Overall, this book was good and I would recommend it to another reader. I would read another book by this author just to give it a shot.