Freak the Mighty by W.R. Philbrick, Rodman Philbrick | Teen Ink

Freak the Mighty by W.R. Philbrick, Rodman Philbrick

By waterskiroxmysox101 BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
waterskiroxmysox101 BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Do you like books were two opposite people become one? Well I think the book Freak the Mighty by W.R. Philbrick, is the book for you.

Freak the Mighty is about a boy named Kevin (Freak) that is cripple but very intelligent. He has a big hump on his back and a small body. He ends up meeting a boy named Max who is six feet tall but very shy. Freak winds up moving down the street from Max and they become best friends a.k.a Freak the Mighty! Freak spends most of his time at Max’s house, and they end up going on a lot of adventures.
When I first started to read the book I didn’t really think it was a book for me because it was about two boys, but then I kept reading it and all the adventures in the book made me keep reading it. I think it’s very interesting that these two boys are totally different but they get along well and are best friends. It doesn’t really look like they wood hang because Max is 6ft tall and Freak is three feet tall. Max and Freak already knew each other from third grade but then Freak left, so they drifted apart. Then when they got to eighth grade Freak and Max reunited.
I think this book would be good for people who liked adventures too. During the book Freak and Max go on many adventures. Like one time when they go out at 5 in the morning to get a treasure out of a storm drain. They pulled it out and found out it was a purse, they look in the wallet and see it belongs to a lady not far from where they were so they went to give the purse to the lady. On the way they encounter many obstacles on the way, like Blade and his gang and the lady’s husband.

Overall I would rate this book a 9 out of 10 because it’s not very catchy in the beginning but toward the middle it gets good. I would suggest this book to teenage boys; I think they would enjoy all the stuff Freak and Max go thorough.