Monster by Walter Dean Myers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In Walter Dean Myers' award-winning book, Monster, the main character, Steve Harmon, is caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Steve Harmon is a teenager living in New York state with his mother, father, and ­little brother. He is falsely accused of being part of a murder. The trial that follows lasts over a year and is gut-wrenching for him and his family. Throughout the book, Steve maintains his innocence and denies taking part in the murder in any way.

This book intrigued me and kept my attention throughout. It has a lot of action, and there isn't a single boring part. It keeps you guessing and wondering what will happen next, which makes you want to read more. It has a very believable plot, too, which is another ­reason Monster is so good. It got me thinking and putting myself in Steve's place, as well as that of his family.

One aspect I did not like is how it is written: Myers has Steve write the book as a movie script, so it is a little confusing and difficult to follow. With lots of characters, it's hard to remember who is who, and what their purpose is.

On the other hand I ­really liked the diversity of the ­characters, and how they adapt to the different events in the book.

I recommend Monster to anyone over the age of 13. Overall I would rate this book in my top five. I really loved how Myers made each character different, but they still clicked very well. Overall the story had great flow and I would rate this book a 4.5 out of five.

peters driving said...
May 1, 2015 at 7:50 am
this book amazing I couldn't put it down it was one of the greatest books I have ever read and I would love to read more of Walter Dean Myres books .

JuanEs said...
this book is boring, it more fun going to jail than read this book

Bonitta_bella said...
, First off my heart goes outt to walter dean myers for making this book and who ever dosent like it idk what to tell yhu thys is a great book i look every were in plainfeild for it but i cant find it i understood were the author was coming from this book was a book for i say 13-18 to readdd if yur mature enough to readi it so i in all reality ( WALTER DEAN MYERS)  this had to be one of your best books i have ever read your my favorite auhtor i really enjoy reading your books i must... (more »)

12346 said...
this was a good book i personally liked it and for people who like reading plays should read this book or if you dont if you happen it pass by it you should pic it up and start reading

12345 said...
this is the worst book i have ever read!!!! it was confusing hard to follow and just plain boring to read. i had to read this book for my high school English class and once i read the first "chapter" i knew i was in for a bad week. i know that many people say it is a great book to read but i have to disagree, i am in to mysteries, adventures and suspense type of books. monster is a suspense and mystery book i would say and i thought it was terrible. it took me longer to read this book than it to... (more »)

12346 replied...
i dont think so i loved the book i couldnt put it dont and anybody can read wat they wont thats if they want to that your opinion ok other people like me may love or like the book

123456789 replied...
What are three things you liked about the book?