Ender's Shadow by Orson Scot Card | Teen Ink

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scot Card

December 16, 2009
By JacobM. BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
JacobM. BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you read Ender’s game? In this parallel novel, Ender’s Shadow, by Orson Scott Card, unveils Ender Wiggin’s trials from the perspective of Bean, Ender’s right-hand man.

This book starts out in the streets of Rotterdam, in southern Holland. Bean is just one of the many starving urchins on the streets, scavenging for food and trying to stay alive. At the age of five, his extraordinary intelligence makes him stand out among the crowd. He attracts the attention of the recruiters of Battle School, the people who comb the earth for children-leaders with military talent. Bean tests and he receives the best scores in the history of Battle school and is sent into outer space to the Battle School. There he meets Ender and their fates collide.

I think that Orson Scott Card put a suspenseful quality into his work. I never knew what was going to happen next. This kind of book is possible to finish in one sitting. My only complaint is that the conclusion feels unfinished.

In a good novel, I start to identify with the character. Orson’s characters are easier to identify with than other books but at the same time incredibly complex. With his writing style, he allows me to see inside the character’s head and know every thought of the character throughout the entire book.

Science-fiction lover or not, I think that Ender’s Shadow is a must read for anyone who has read Ender’s Game.