My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

By Riley F BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Riley F BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Would you die for a loved one, or have them die instead? That’s the question of Anna Fitzgerald’s life when her sister, Kate, (who has AP Leukemia) needs a kidney from Anna to have a chance at survival. Kate is older than Anna, and Anna was genetically engineered so that she was a perfect biological match for any of Kate’s health or transplant needs. When Anna sues her parents for medical emancipation (the use of her body without her permission), you can be that things get pretty insane. Anna and Kate’s mom, Sara, goes crazy and they take the case to court: Mother vs. daughter. However, in court, Anna reveals a ‘hard to swallow’ truth that not even Sara knew about.

My Sister’s Keeper, by Jodi Picoult, was a book that was impossible to put down. One of the best things was that the characters switched off narrating the chapters which made it easy for me to understand and empathize with most of the characters. I especially admired Anna’s character. She was tough, brave and strong with a lot of guts.

The only part of this book that was kind of unrealistic for me was Sara’s personality. My mom is so equally loving that it was hard to imagine a mom that clearly favors one kid over the others. I get that she doesn’t want Kate to die, but she acts as though she doesn’t really care about Anna’s health. Although the end will throw you for a shocking twist, it really pulls the story together.

Anyone -kids to grownup to grandparents- will love this heart warming story of love, hard times and life.