The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex | Teen Ink

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

By janil411 BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
janil411 BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Have you ever heard of a Boov or a Gorg? Or have you ever heard of the Snark’s Adjustable Manifold? If you haven’t you should read The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex. The book is about a girl named Gratuity (her friends call her Tip). When aliens called Boovs take over the planet, They relocate all the humans to Florida because humans and Boovs don’t mix. All the humans were supposed to go to Florida by rocket pod, but Gratuity wanted to drive instead. So , her cat named Pig, a fugitive Boov named J.lo, and herself go on an amazing adventure to Florida. On the way they also try to find Gratuity’s mom who is suppose to be in Florida.

I really liked this book for many reasons. First, it had a good blend of sci-fi and comedy in it. For example, in the beginning Gratuity’s mom gets a mole on her neck and she tells everyone that aliens put it on her. You find out later that the mole is a storage device so the Boov can learn English. Another aspect of the book which I like was that the author put visuals in the book. This is a good thing because if there weren’t any pictures my version of a Boov would look different than the author’s version of a Boov. The author also did a good job making a unique plot. To make my point clear have you ever read any other book where aliens take over the Earth and send all the people in the USA to Florida? NO! The author was also very creative in his characterization. For example, there is a part in the book when J.lo makes a comic which shows how the Boovish race started, which was creative and funny.

I recommend this book to people 12 years and up. I say this because there is some swearing in the book. I also recommend this book to people who like sci-fi. This book is also funny so if you are a person who likes funny books, read this one. So if you want to know what a Boov is, read The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex.

This book is really funny. Has a mixture of Sci-fi and comedy.