Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson | Teen Ink

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

December 16, 2009
By Justine L BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Justine L BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Picture a life where you are a complete outcast and can’t relate to anyone, on top of that, a life changing event has happened, leaving you to feel unsafe and alone.


This situation is exactly what Melinda Sordino; the main character from Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson had to deal with. Melinda has a big secret that’s too unsafe to share with anyone. It all took place at an out of control party over the summer, it became really intense so Melinda ended up calling the cops so everyone got busted and wouldn’t talk to her. Now she has to deal with going into high school being a hated and friendless. As she struggles to keep her secret of what really happened at the party--her quiet, lonely life gets worse. Her life begins to spiral downhill and she even skips school and cuts herself. Will her life every be the same?


“I have entered high school with the wrong hair, the wrong clothes, the wrong attitude. And I don’t have anyone to sit with. I am Outcast.” This is a quote from Speak that really represents the mood of the book. I would describe the mood as heartwarming, yet hopeful. That’s how I felt when I was reading the suspenseful tale of Speak, it was as if I were in the book rather than just reading it. I think the author of this book, Laurie Halse Anderson has an excellent writing style even though it’s different from most writers. She really creates an image in the reader’s head even if the book isn’t something you can relate to. Speak is a powerful and emotional, yet suspenseful book—it’s nearly impossible to put down! Although, this book doesn’t connect a lot to my life, it’s a book that I really enjoyed!


Overall, this book is well written and I’d recommend it to any teenager who likes realistic fiction novels.

The author's comments:
It's awesome, fool! :-)