A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelley | Teen Ink

A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelley

December 16, 2009
By Ana X BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Ana X BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Life doesn’t always have happy endings. A Northern Light is a great book. This book is about a girl named Mattie who finds out how Grace one of the characters in the book dies. Mattie goes thru a lot of things in this book. Like when Grace gives her some letters she finds out a lot of new things about Grace. Also when Mattie wants to go to college but her dad doesn’t want her to go .She doesn’t want him to be all alone. This book is really well written and I think that Jennifer Donnelly did a real good job.

There are a lot of things that make this book interesting. When I read it I felt different things like in some parts I was curios about what would happen next. In other parts it made me feel happy like when Mattie finally gets to go to college. I also liked this book because I had some things in common with Mattie the main character. Some of my similarities are that she dreams to go to college and I would also like to go to college.

When I read this book I would wonder why the author would always use a vocabulary word at the beginning of each chapter. I would also wonder other things. In some parts of the book I would get confused because I wouldn’t now witch character was talking. There were also some French words in the book that I didn’t now so I guess it made the book a little confusing for me but I really liked it.
I would recommend this book to young adults. That like mystery well the genre isn’t really mystery but it does have to do something with it. I think that every young adult would enjoy this book just like I did.