Hatchet by Gary Paulsen | Teen Ink

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

December 16, 2009
By s.dreher BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
s.dreher BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you think you would be able to survive in the wild, for months at a time? In the book Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, Brian Robeson is a teenager traveling to his father’s house when the plane crashes. Brian is forced to gather all the strength he has to survive. This story is both a physical journey as well a spiritual journey for Brian. He learns the ways of the wild and it changes his aspect of life.

I really enjoyed this novel. There were a lot of different things that made this an interesting and eye catching story. Gary Paulsen made this a very realistic book that could happen to anyone, and since Brian was around my age I felt that I understood his thoughts and ideas better. This compelling story is not only a learning experience for the main character but for the reader too. By reading this book you might not wonder so much about what someone would do if they were lost in the wilderness alone, because Hatchet thoroughly explains every different step Brian has to take to survive. The one thing I wasn’t satisfied with is the fact that there wasn’t much change in Brian throughout the plot of the book.

Overall I feel that this was one of the best books I have read in a long time, and I would recommend it to any and all ages looking for a quick and riveting read. I give Hatchet a 9.5 out of 10.