My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

By DoreenN BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
DoreenN BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Can you imagine being born for a single purpose? If not for that purpose you wouldn’t be here. That’s what happens to Anna Fitzgerald in My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Anna’s sister, Kate, was born with a disease and Anna was later conceived to save her life. From the moment Anna was born she had already donated blood to her ill sister. For years Anna continued these procedures without complaining, until one day when she filed to sue her parents. This book tells the story of how her family handles the news and if Anna is willing to let her sister go.

I think this is one of Picoult’s most spectacular novels. The characters in the story are described in great depth which makes them all very different. In the book Picoult tells the story from the perspectives of all the characters. I loved this because; for once I wouldn’t have to guess what other characters thought about certain events. The thing I liked most about this book is the actual story that was being told. It was realistic yet not something commonly written about which made it very special. The only thing I didn’t like about the book was the long chapters that were set in the past. They took away from the action that was happening in the present time.

This is a heartfelt novel that tells a family’s struggle during a time of hardship. Throughout the book you never know who will make the mistake of a lifetime. I would recommend it to teens and women who have ever had to make sacrifices for a family member with their life at stake.

I like this book.