13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

December 15, 2009
By autumn_13 BRONZE, Blaclick, Ohio
autumn_13 BRONZE, Blaclick, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“13 Reasons Why”… well, what can I say about this ‘great’ book. Okay, I’m going to quit lying to myself. I hated this book. Absolutely loathed it. I actually have a few good reasons why. First of all the reader barely even learns about the main character, Clay. He’s the one telling the story, yet I couldn’t tell you one thing about him, except that he was head over heels for this Hannah girl. And Hannah, whoa, was she a train wreck. Obviously, the book was the 13 reasons why she committed suicide, right? Well, I’m gonna be brutally honest, none of her reasons seemed important enough for her to make that decision. Maybe one of them was pretty bad, two tops. They all just seemed like events that either 1: she could have prevented herself or 2: happen to most all teenage girls her age. I personally thought that she was an attention-whore, and if everyone wasn’t looking at her, the universe was going to collapse or something. Don’t get me wrong, I thought the general idea for the book was great, it was just hard for me to get past the hatred I felt for not only the main character(s) and the 13 reasons why.