The High King by Lloyd Alexander | Teen Ink

The High King by Lloyd Alexander

December 15, 2009
By runninman94 BRONZE, New Albany, Indiana
runninman94 BRONZE, New Albany, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's funny because he is fat."


I read the book “The High King” and was utterly confused throughout the whole story. While the basic plot and storyline was simple enough to follow, the story itself referred back to other books which left me lost and confused, drawing me away from the story. I later found out, after I had read the story, that this was the fifth, and last, installment into a series of books, The Chronicles of Prydain. The story is very much a fantasy book. With its morphing characters, enchanted swords, wizards, and an oracle pig, any child would find this book fascinating and enjoyable to read.


The gist of the book is that the main character, Taran, goes into war, leading part of the Prydian army. He is fighting against the antagonist, the evil character, Arawn. I would only recommend this book to die hard fantasy fans, and to them I heed a warning, first they should read the other first four books in the series, The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, and Taran Wanderer.


The book is high-quality, but very far fetched and hard to believe at some points. As most fantasy stories go, the main character falls in love with a beautiful girl. This book follows that cliché, but has a few unexpected twists, that make the book better, that I did not expect. I feel the story is a bit seventh grade vocabulary at times, but the writing is superb. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this book a 7.


The author's comments:
I wrote this for english class. But suprisingly found it somewhat enjoyable