The Declaration by Gemma Malley | Teen Ink

The Declaration by Gemma Malley

By Emily George SILVER, Blacklick, Ohio
Emily George SILVER, Blacklick, Ohio

If there was a drug that would make you stop aging and live forever, would you take it? In The Declaration by Gemma Malley, readers are enlightened as they see into a futuristic society where such a drug exists.

Readers are introduced to Anna Covey, a young girl living in this society, however, she is a Surplus, or an illegal child, and she is doomed to a life of servitude and years in Grange Hall, which basically is a prison. Anna’s story is very captivating and readers are intrigued as they get a look into the psyche of one of these Surpluses.

When Peter comes along, he reveals to Anna how much different it is on the “outside” and he teaches Anna of her parents that he knew very well. Anna becomes very curious, and readers experience excitement and suspense as they learn if Anna will quench her thirst to know about a free life.

The only thing that bothered me about the novel was that when the story begins, it is in Anna’s journal and she sounds as if she is much younger than she really is.

This novel was beautifully written and it really pulled me in. Malley created characters that were very easy to become emotionally attached to and told a wonderful story of love, tragedy, and the natural desire of freedom. She mastered a new spin on the very popular topic of longevity and I deeply respect her for putting her very imaginative views in this incredible novel.