My Sister's Keeper- Literally A Keeper | Teen Ink

My Sister's Keeper- Literally A Keeper

December 14, 2009
By NedMugann BRONZE, Beavercreek, Ohio
NedMugann BRONZE, Beavercreek, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

From the minute I picked up the book My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult, metaphors and flashbacks immediately caught my attention and held it as I delved deep into the twisted life of the Fitzgeralds. When daughter Kate was diagnosed with leukemia at a very young age and needed all sorts of transplants, retired lawyer/mom Sara and firefighter dad Brian have to make a difficult choice. Since brother Jesse is not a genetic match for Kate, they decided to conceive Anna to be a perfect match for her sister. Anna never questions all the things her family needs her to give Kate until age 13, when she is asked to give one of her kidneys to Kate, whose are failing. She decides to hire an attorney, Campbell Alexander, to sue her parents to the rights to her own body. The story line progresses along with several twists and turns that keep the reader on his or her toes and makes the reader rethink their ideas on family. At the end of the novel, there is an epic turn of fate that will be sure to shock every reader. The novel explores the consequences of her decision upon her family and brings new characters into the mix to develop a plot that is thicker than the blood that runs in both Kate’s and Anna’s veins. This is Picoult’s best work, diving into tough topics such as medical rights and genetic matching. The author does an excellent job of holding the reader’s attention with switching between the character’s point of view and this gives this work a round, interesting shape. My Sister’s Keeper is indeed a keeper to read over and over while finding something new every read.