Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

"Allhappy families resemble one another, but each unhappy family is unhappy in itsown way." These words launch Tolstoy's hauntingly amazing Anna Karenina. Thebook follows the fate of a group of families, all struggling for happiness. Theyare united by the book's charismatic title character, Anna, a well-likednoblewoman who is radiant, graceful and charming.

Considered by many to beTolstoy's finest achievement, Anna Karenina is quite possibly one of the mostimportant novels of the nineteenth century. This simple tale of a love affair isinfused with rich portrayals of Russian high society, politics andreligion.

We are first introduced to Anna when she travels to Moscow tosalvage her brother's marriage. In this first encounter, her compassion andbeauty are obvious. In Moscow she also meets the dashing Count Vronsky, who willremain a painful part of her life.

Ironically, Anna's main quality, herstrength of emotion, eventually serves as the basis for her cataclysmic downfall.The novel follows Anna into infidelity and eventually despair. Tol-toy manages tocontrast her downfall beautifully with the story of Konstantin Levin, whoeventually finds happiness through himself.

The story is breathtakinglyopaque and layered, due mainly to Tolstoy's ability to weave everything andeveryone together into a tapestry.

Graceful, poignant and startling,Tolstoy's masterpiece left me astounded. Engrossing and fascinating, the 1,190pages flew by weightlessly.