Holes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Because of the just-released movie with the same title, many are rushing to read Holes by Louis Sachar. I recommend doing this - Holes is a wonderful book whether you are 18 or 85.

Holes is a combination of three stories. The main one is about Stanley Yelnats, who is found guilty of stealing even though he didn't. He is shipped off to Camp Green Lake, a boot camp with a twist. There, Stanley bonds with the boys in his tent, who all have wacky nicknames and personalities to match.

Every day, the boys must dig a large hole in the "lake," which is now more of a desert. The counselors tell the boys they must dig holes to build character, but is there something more? The stories of Stanley's no-good, dirty-rotten, pig-stealing great-great grandfather who cursed Stanley's family, and the story of Kissing Kate Barlow and how she turned from a sweet woman to the feared bandit who robbed Stanley's great-grandfather, will help them figure out the truth.

This book is wonderfully bizarre. The plot and setting are strange, but then the author throws a barrel of peculiar characters into the mix.

If you are looking for a great read that is out of the ordinary, dig into Holes. Just beware of the poisonous lizards.

ella_da_grate said...
May 11, 2013 at 11:17 am:
this is a realy good review and i enjoyed the book soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!" 

mikey replied...
Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:20 am :
This book is sooo amazing.

jaden10 said...
Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:44 pm:
great book!\