Speak This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

As if high school isn't hard enough, Laurie Anderson comes up with a story that not only exploits these hardships, but also adds a new problem few deal with.

Anderson's Speak paints a picture of Melinda Sordino, a freshman who loses all her friends after she calls the cops at an end-of-summer party.

Never speaking to anyone about that night (or anything else, for that matter), Melinda becomes a social outcast who only finds comfort in art and skipping school. It is not until Melinda can look her "beast" in the eye that she is able to break out of her shell and finally start speaking again.

Anderson does a great job re-creating the high school setting, making it easy for the reader to relate to many of Melinda's problems, such as her rebellion against school and her parents, and her struggle to find herself.

On top of all that, Laurie Anderson masterfully makes light of a very serious topic by adding comic relief so as not to depress the reader too much. Speak is a great book for high school students who feel they are alone with their problems and those who have a fear of breaking out and finally letting themselves speak. .

shillow said...
good book i love the way u did write it 

EmptySoul said...

This is my second favorite novel. Laurie Halse Anderson is an amazing author.

Your review is a little short, but really good. You describe the book perfectly.

ThisBreRulezYouSonnn said...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 6:53 am

Man, do I wish I could've finished this book. It was the end of the year and I was going through the library, out of boredom, when I came across this book. "Hey! I saw part of the movie!" I said to myself, opening the book.

Putting it back on the shelf was sooooo haarrrdd. I read a few chapters in that one lunch period. The story was gripping and realistic, so far. And the characters weren't quite as delightful as they could've been, but they were pretty good and uniquely decribed and ... (more »)