Johnny Termian by Esther Forbes | Teen Ink

Johnny Termian by Esther Forbes

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes was published by Yearling, an imprint of Random House Children's Books a division of Random House, Inc., New York in May 1987. Johnny Tremain is a 322 paged, historic adventure book for kids ages ten through fourteen that is about a boy who use to only care about his world until a life changing accident that causes him to be introduced into a new world, the world of the Sons of Liberty.

Johnny Tremain was a great silversmith who always when about with pride. While working on a important task one on Johnny’s co-workers, Dove, plays a prank on him causing his hand to become crippled and useless. He meets a boy who ends up helping him out when Johnny is accused of stealing and gives him a job as a news boy, food, and a place to stay. The boy who’s uncle is a Son of Liberty is always helping out when the secret meeting are held of the printer shop. Johnny because included on this and soon for major events that very well could have him killed. Johnny and the boy along with the Sons of Liberty participate in the Boston Tea Party and in the American Revolution.

I believe that Esther Forbes was successful in getting his message across because although Johnny Tremain is a fictional character, the book help better understand about why important events happened and how they happened much better than reading it out of a text book. When reading this book you become interested with the character of Johnny Tremain therefore pay more attention to the political the historical facts while fallowing Johnny’s life.

The main setting is the town of Boston, The Thirteen Colonies through out different homes and years. Johnny tells the story as well is sometimes the protagonist but as well is the boy who takes him in, Rab Silsbee. Johnny was told when he was taken on as an apprentice of Mr. Lapham, a silversmith, to marry on of his four granddaughters named Priscilla Lapham who is his best friend through out the book although her little sister Isannah always fallows her around and boasting about her beautiful hair, getting on Johnny’s nerves. The inner circle of the Sons of Liberty consisted of Doctor Warren, Sam Adams, Samuel Cooper, William Cooper, John Hancock, William Molineaux, Josiah Quincy, John Adams, James Otis, Doctor Church, Paul Revere, and Mr. Lorne, Rab’s uncle. Mr. Lyte and Miss Lyte who accused Johnny of being a thief. The mood is mostly serious and secretive.

Johnny one he burns his hand is turned away from is household at the Laphams and walks about trying to find a job. he meets Rab but instead of talking a job leaves to look for a skilled job. He turns to the Lytes when he believes all is turned away from him like his late mother told him to. The Lytes try to send him to the gallows but with Rab and the Sons of Liberty’s help wins the trial. He then takes the carrier job up from Rab and also helps out with delivering messages for the Sons of Liberty. After taxation with out representation for so long, the Sons of Liberty enforce boys .and Johnny, to help out with the stand known as the Boston Tea Party. The British invade on Boston and after some months start the American Revolution with Johnny’s help by collecting information from Dove the Sons of Liberty were able to help out the Minute Men win.

I found that while reading this book both times that it was still interesting to me. The first time i read it was in fifth grade when we were just learning about the American Revolution and even used it to help us while we played parts in a Civil War Reenactment. I have always been interested in the era of the book but i was also surprised on how well Esther Forbes made the historical events interesting and easy to understand. Even three years later I was interested in the book and could not put the book down. I recommend this book to other because not only is it a book to read in spare time but also it will help learn, understand, remember, and make interesting historical events in the 1700s.In Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes, Johnny changes a lot as a charter.
He starts out as a great and overly proud silversmith. While breaking the law by working on Sabbath for his “family” his apprentice co-worker ,Dove, who is always being envious and mad at Johnny plays a prank. This prank ended up burning Johnny’s hand in melted silver. The midwife who treated his hand let the hand double over healing in a crippling position. He could no longer be a silversmith and mopped around sometimes trying to find a new skilled job, where he meet Rab, sometimes just swimming and eating. He was kicked out of his “family’s” house and slept in barns or in the grave yard eating when he could. When Johnny though everyone even god had turned away from his he turned to the rich merchant family of the Lytes like his mother had said to (page #28 Paragraph 8). The Lytes immediately have him arrested for thievery and put him on trial. Rab came to his rescue and help him when the trial.

Rab also let Johnny have a job as a newsboy and gave him food and a place to sleep. Johnny learned a lot from Rab and was even able to not be self-conscience about his crippled hand. Johnny had a new life of excitement here with Rab and helping with the Sons of Liberty. He worked hard to learn how to do without his crippled hand and began to realize and be grateful for what his late mother had gave him, like the ability to read. He participated in the Boston Tea Party and helped to keep it a stand for Boston and not a theft of Boston. He also trained a horse named Goblin who is also like him in ways. Goblin was a timid beast who no one wanted even though he was so beautiful but Johnny worked with him until he was practically good as new. Once Johnny was made to be left behind in Boston while Rab and the other Sons of Liberty went of to places like Lexington to fight the war Johnny was upset but fallowed out his orders and then went to Lexington. There he meet Rab who was severely injured. Johnny then understood that there had to be men like Rab to stand up even if it meant dieing. Johnny grew in the book and had a better understanding of why things sometimes must be done,

In Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes, Johnny changes a lot as a charter.

Rab also let Johnny have a job as a newsboy and gave him food and a place to sleep. Johnny learned a lot from Rab and was even able to not be self-conscience about his crippled hand. Johnny had a new life of excitement here with Rab and helping with the Sons of Liberty. He worked hard to learn how to do without his crippled hand and began to realize and be grateful for what his late mother had gave him, like the ability to read. He participated in the Boston Tea Party and helped to keep it a stand for Boston and not a theft of Boston. He also trained a horse named Goblin who is also like him in ways. Goblin was a timid beast who no one wanted even though he was so beautiful but Johnny worked with him until he was practically good as new. Once Johnny was made to be left behind in Boston while Rab and the other Sons of Liberty went of to places like Lexington to fight the war Johnny was upset but fallowed out his orders and then went to Lexington. There he meet Rab who was severely injured. Johnny then understood that there had to be men like Rab to stand up even if it meant dieing. Johnny grew in the book and had a better understanding of why things sometimes must be done.