The Perks of Being a Wallflower This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

If an award existed for the most amazingbook that brings out the best in people, The Perks of Being a Wallflowerwould win hands down. This novel is the most inspirational I have everread and was impossible to put down, even for a minute. This book iscategorized with novels such as The Catcher in the Rye and A SeparatePeace; all are coming-of-age stories that confuse and inspire the humanmind.

Chbosky was able to write from the view of a high-schoolboy, making the novel easy to read but complex in thought at the sametime. We read the story of inspiring and influential Charlie throughjournal entries that create the novel. We are unaware of both his motivein writing these entries and to whom he is writing, but we are aware ofthe life he leads and the world he shares.

As we read ofCharlie's confusion and mishaps through the years, we begin tolove him and find a part of him in ourselves. We become very close withhis feelings and feel his emotions. His experiences become ours. Theseentries reveal his life and thoughts, bringing us to become his bestfriend with whom he shares his deepest secrets.

We can seeCharlie's innocence as well as his faults through his experienceswith rape, suicide and death. We see everything from Charlie'sfirst kiss to his discoveries of drugs, enemies and brokenhearts.

This book captures the full life of a freshman and hissearch for an honest world to live in and someone to listen to hisoutlook on life. This book is so endearing because it tells a storywhile enabling the reader to recollect his or her own personalexperiences. What author can do that? Stephen Chbosky! Every teenagerwith an open mind and a good heart should read this remarkable book.

MusicLuvsUs said...
Mar. 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm:
I totally love this book! The way it's written and the fact that we don't know how he's writing makes the story really different, but so much like A Separate Piece.

lyndy16 said...
my backgrnd is clear......

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_tpojb6bqq6qm2kmif4vrlj9a17, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0