The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz | Teen Ink

The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz

By kcrodd21 BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
kcrodd21 BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware

BOOK
REVIEW

Over the summer I had to do summer reading for my school. One of the books I read was the non-fiction story, “The Long Walk” by Slavomir Rawicz. The book is very interesting and the storyline will keep you hooked from start to finish. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading suspenseful stories.

Rawicz is accused of being a Polish spy and is thrown to 25 years hard labor by the Russians. In the story you will learn of the struggle Rawicz had in the Russian prisons. Rawicz is often moving to different labor camps and he hates the prison life. Rawicz knows he will not get out of jail anytime soon due to the unfair trial by the Russians.

Finally Rawicz gathers a group of other prisoners and decides they are going to breakout of prison in search of a better life and a better future. The prisoners breakout and decide to journey as far south as possible. They travel for months with little food and water. Throughout the story you will read of the prisoners’ hardship and tough obstacles through their travels. Although not all survived I find it amazing how the prisoners’ strong will and determination go them through the deadly journey of “the long walk”. Overall I give the story an 8 out of 10.