The Hunger Games by Shannon Hale

If you win, you win fame and fortune. If you lose, you lose your life. Let the Hunger Games begin! The rules are simple, kill or be killed; the last one standing wins. The Hunger Games is a broadcasted source of entertainment for the Capital, a reminder to the Districts that they are at the mercy of the Capital, and every mother’s worst fear. In the twelve districts under the Capital, children between twelve to eighteen years old have a chance of being chosen in the Reaping. At the annual Reaping a girl and boy from each district are chosen out of a hat to participate in the games. Some of these tributes have a better chance at victory, such as the District 1 careers, children from the rich district that specializes in luxury items and who train for the games.
District 12, which specializes in coal, has not had a winner in many years and is always the underdog. So, when Katniss Everdeen’s little sister’s name is picked out of the District 12 hat, Katniss is faced with a choice. To protect her sister, she does the unbelievable and volunteers to take her place as the girl tribute. Everyone from District 12 believes Katniss will die in the games. But, throw in a drunken mentor, a fabulous designer, a bow and arrows, a mysterious district 13, a boy who saved her when she was young, and a golden mockingjay pin and who can be sure of anything?
The Hunger Games is set in the future after the human race has almost self-destructed. The Capital and the twelve districts are the last remainder of civilization. This futuristic book is filled to the brim with allies, enemies, pretenses, truces, betrayal, deceit, sorrow, wit, loss, bravery, sacrifice, adventure, and most of all survival. I give this book an eleven out of ten as the best book I have ever read and recommend it to both boys and girls. Welcome to the District 12. Welcome to the Capital. Welcome to the Hunger Games.

Kat95 said...
Sorry about that slip. I wrote this a long time ago. The book was really great though, didn't really do it justice with my review. 

msn9896 said...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 12:57 pm:

Good Book... Not Shannon Hale

Becca said...
I love this book, but it's actually written by Suzanne Collins, not Shannon Hale.  Shannon Hale is also an amazing author.

Themockingjay said...
The Hunger Games is such a good buck series I am so excited for book three!<br /> -Eric<br />