Life of Pi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I discovered Life of Pi on a July afternoon when all I felt like doing was crawling into the freezer and staying there until winter. A corner of the book was visible from my mother's bag. It was deep blue and shone in the blinding sun. I was attracted to it like a bug to a bright light. Sluggishly, I pulled it out and examined the cover. It depicted an ocean with a white lifeboat in the middle. The stunning orange and black stripes of a tiger lurched over the edge of the lifeboat. On the other end, a dark boy pulled his arms around his body, attempting to shelter himself from the sun. I know how you feel, I thought. I then dove in, headfirst.

I soon met Pi Patel, a 16-year-old Indian with a passionate love for stories who practices not only his native Hinduism, but also Christianity and Islam.

Pi grows up in the lush gardens of his father's zoo, letting the elephants reach through the bars of their pens to touch the top of his head with their trunks and observing, with awe, the majestic tigers from a safe distance. That is, until Pi's father decides to move his family, and all their animals, to Canada on a cargo ship.

Much to Pi's horror and surprise, the ship sinks and Pi finds himself stranded in a lifeboat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, accompanied by an orangutan, a wounded zebra, a hyena and a 450-pound tiger. Now Pi must use his expert knowledge, cunning wit and trust in God to help him survive.

I loved this book and finished it quickly. I was waiting for more when the pages ran out. It was funny, thrilling and provocative. What's more, Life of Pi completely changed my perception of the world by forcing me to explore the fine line between survival and insanity. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for literature that leaves you thinking for weeks after you finish it. Unbelievable!