The Perfect Score This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The Perfect Score by David Levithan is a dry book. It is reminiscent of an anchored boat; it has potential but never seems to get anywhere. The book just never gets intense. When the story does have a chance to be a nail-biter, the subject changes.

The Perfect Score is about six stereotypical teenagers: there's the stoner, Roy; the jock, Desmond; the goody-goody, Anna; the boy with his girlfriend in college, Matty; the underachiever, Kyle; and the girl trying to get back at the world, Francesca. What they have in common is needing high SAT scores, for a plethora of reasons.

When the story begins, they seem incompatible and too diverse to work together; but as it continues, they begin to collaborate and become friends.

This is very easy reading, but The Perfect Score is a dull book. It is for people who don't mind slow-starting books that never really get exciting.