The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton | Teen Ink

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton

The Outsiders by S.E.Hinton

“This can't be happening. This can't be happening.This can't be... “You really killed him, huh Johnny?” “Yeah.” His voice quivered slightly. “ I had to. They were drowning you, Pony. They might have killed you. And they had a blade... they were gonna beat me up...” (Hinton 57). Ponyboy, Johnny, Soda, Darry, Two-bit, Dally, and Steve all stick together, along with all the other greasers in town. Being a greaser is dangerous because of the Socs. The Socs are a vicious group of rich kids who beat up greasers; however, one tragic night will change everything for the greasers, and they will all need each other more than ever.

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton is an 180 page book that has something for everyone. There is an amazing lineup of remarkable characters and a captivating plot that will pull at your heart strings and help you understand the struggles teenagers go through while growing up.

One of the greatest moments of the book is when a church is on fire and Ponyboy, Johnny, and Dally realize what needs to be done and they risk their lives to save a group of young kids from the fire. This choice ends up costly though, landing Johnny and Dally in the hospital.

Throughout the story, the main character Ponyboy is a strong willed character who tries to understand what is right and wrong. He is a character who dreams of being more than a greaser unlike the others, he would not give up. He also ends up realizing that he and the Socs aren't so different after all. In fact, they are more alike then either side could imagine. Ponyboy has to deal with the struggles of life and learns that family is the most important thing in the end.

The Outsiders is part of the realistic fiction genre. I give it a 10/10. The Outsiders is an inspiring and classic book and is a great story for people who love classics, and enjoy inspirational and life changing stories. The Outsiders is your best choice.

skate52 said...
on Dec. 18 2009 at 11:50 am
amazing book

dallygirl123 said...
on Dec. 17 2009 at 6:45 pm
I agree with you 100 percent! I'm IN LOVE with The Outsiders. I saw the movie about a dozen times. Great job on the post!