The Kite Runner This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In the hard-hitting The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini enlightens Western society about Afghanistan. The devastating political and social histories of this country are revealed though the life of Amir, a privileged Afghani youth. The reader follows him through a troubled childhood in his rich suburb and his search for refuge as an adult. In hopes of earning his father's love, Amir betrays his loyal servant in exchange for the winning kite from a traditional Afghani kite battling tournament.

When the Russians occupy his country in the '70s, Amir and his father make the perilous journey across the Pakistani border, and eventually make it to San Francisco. After settling into a comfortable American lifestyle as a married writer, new revelations rip Amir from his haven and resurrect the past.

Only after seeing how “real” Afghanis lived under Taliban law with daily bombings and bullet showers can he appreciate his fortunate youth. Old family secrets are revealed, providing Amir an opportunity to redeem himself from his betrayal of years ago.

The Kite Runner paints an accurate picture of Afghanistan and is a coming-of-age story that teaches lessons of honor, guilt, love and salvation.