New Moon by Stephanie Meyer | Teen Ink

New Moon by Stephanie Meyer

November 1, 2009
By Courtney S. BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
Courtney S. BRONZE, Aurora, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

New Moon, by Stephanie Meyer, is the second of four books in the Twilight series. This book has amazing merits such as suspense and action, and Stephanie Meyer really makes the reader feel the sorrow that Bella is feeling. These great characteristics make New Moon one of my personal favorites.

My favorite part of this book is the suspense. One part in the book that really exhibits this merit is on Pg.448 “The throng jostled around me, spinning me the wrong direction. I was glad the clock was so visible, or I'd never keep my course straight. But both hands on the clock pointed up towards the pitiless sun, and, though I shoved viciously against the crowd, I knew I was too late. I wasn't halfway across. I wasn't going to make it. I was stupid and slow and human, and we were all going to die because of it.” This excerpt shows how Stephanie Meyer builds suspense. She has the characters become more alert, slows down the pace, and stresses the pressure put on the characters. All these things contribute to the awesome suspense in New Moon.

Another great merit shown in this book is action. The action is this book is based off the rivalry between the werewolves and vampires. One of the best examples of this is on Pg.244 when the pack of werewolves attacks the vampire Laurent. “The wolves were after him in a second, sprinting across the open grass with a few powerful bounds, snarling and snapping so loudly that my hands flew up instinctively to cover my ears. The sound faded with surprising swiftness once the disappeared into the woods.” This section shows the great action in New Moon. The great action is captured by the fast pace and the great adjectives Stephanie Meyer uses.

Finally, in this book Stephanie Meyer does an awesome job of making the reader feel the sorrow that Bella feels. Stephanie does this by describing Bella's thoughts more precisely and explaining her surroundings more accurately. She shows these things on Pg.84 “I felt the smooth wooden floor beneath my knees, and then the palms of my hands. And then it was pressed against the skin of my cheek. I hoped that I was fainting, but, to my disappointment, I didn't lose consciousness. The waves of pain that had only lapped at me before now reared high up and washed over my head, pulling me under.”
In conclusion, Stephanie Meyer uses the merits, suspense and action, as well as makes the reader feel the sorrow that Bella feels, to make the book as great as it is. They also contribute to why people across the nation love this book.