Adventure of the: Midnight Rider by Joan Hiatt Harlow | Teen Ink

Adventure of the: Midnight Rider by Joan Hiatt Harlow

By Stormy BRONZE, Earlham, Iowa
Stormy BRONZE, Earlham, Iowa

Don't judge a book by its cover :)

Adventure of the: Midnight Rider
Are you looking for an adventure between a 14 year-old girl name Hannah and her horse Promise that risks their lives traveling miles and miles to warn the people in Salem that the British were coming. Midnight Rider by Joan Hiatt Harlow published by Margaret K. McElderry Books in 2005 is the book for you.

This book is a fiction book, but does have a lot of historian facts in it leading up to the American Revolution. You might be thinking, “I don’t want to read a history book leading up to the American Revolution.” Let me tell you I was thinking the same thing. If I weren’t given this book as an assignment to read, it probably wouldn’t be a book I would pick up from a shelf. This book was nothing what I expected, and I enjoyed it very much, and glad I was able to read it.

However, weather you like history or not, by reading this book I promise you won’t be disappointed, and there really is many interesting facts given in the book. Hannah Andrews takes the role of Paul Revere. If you know anything about Paul Revere, he was a very important man during the American Revolution. He was a brave messenger man having to warn the American’s that the British were coming, and he risked his life by doing it.

So, it's all begins in 1775 with the American Colonies getting ready for the Revolution, and Boston is filled with soldiers, spies, and secrets. Fourteen-year-old Hannah Andrews gets thrown into the middle of it when her cold-hearted Aunt Phoebe sends her to work as a servant in the Boston household of Thomas Gage, Governor of the Colonies and General of the British armies. Hannah feels trapped in the house, and has no freedom as a girl. In the book Hannah will disguise herself as a boy on all her midnight rides. Hannah had a way with horses that no one else did. She had a horse named Promise who she loved so much, and Promise helped her through all the difficult times that she had to face. Hannah will learn later which side her heart really belongs to. When she overhears that the British soldiers were going to march threw her hometown Salem. Hannah find out that it’s up to her and Promise to save the people from the British, and having to risk their lives by doing it.

I think the Midnight Rider by Joan Hiatt Harlow was a fantastic book because it covered many main events of the American Revolution. The theme that Harlow was trying the get across to her readers was about a girl who must pick sides during the American Revolution war. I liked how Harlow took the story based on Paul Reverse’s midnight ride to warn Lexington, and by going off the same idea, but making a girl take the role and warn Salem. In the book it shows that girls can do anything boys can do.

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone that wants to know more about the American Revolution, or just looking for a fantastic book. I promise you won’t be disappointed. Even if you don’t like history, I would recommend this book to you; you might be surprise after reading this.

I hope you will take the time and sit down and read Midnight Rider. I guarantee you won't be disappointed. :)

cnbcnb10 said...
on Dec. 30 2010 at 9:16 pm
this book is truley amazing and good for a historical fiction book report!