The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By Leo_BD SILVER, Wayne, Pennsylvania
Leo_BD SILVER, Wayne, Pennsylvania

"Give me liberty, or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Many teenagers have fortunately never had the fear of being trapped in an arena while being pitted in a battle to the death against twenty-three other teenagers. Unfortunately, this is what Katniss Everdeen is forced to face in The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. In her world known as Panem, every year each of the twelve districts must send a boy and a girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to the annual Hunger Games. When her sister Primrose’s name is picked for District 12, Katniss volunteers to replace her and is taken to the Capitol, along with a boy she barely knows but has shown unprecedented kindness to her in the past, where she trains before entering the Hunger Games Arena. This book is a great choice for teenagers because of relatable characters, a well described setting, and a captivating plot.
To begin with, teenagers will find it easy to connect to the main characters. Katniss, Primrose, their friends Gale and Peeta, and the other tributes are all between the ages of twelve and eighteen. The author made all the main characters teenagers. People can easily connect to characters around their age, so teens would find the heroes easy to relate to. In addition, teens can also connect to the emotions of the heroes because they are similar to their own feelings. When Katniss is about to enter the city with a flaming outfit, she thinks, “But I’m not convinced I won’t be perfectly barbecued by the time we reach the city’s center” (67). Her nervousness over potential danger is a common emotion for most adolescents. Relatable characters are important for readers, and the author clearly establishes them, showing the mark of a good story.
Additionally, adolescents would also be attracted to a well-described setting. Descriptions of the Hunger Games Arena, the main location in the story, use imagery to depict the scenes. One landscape is expressed as, “Muddy banks covered in tangled water plants lead to large rocks that increase in size” (251). The strong noun-adjective pairs form a vivid mental image. Furthermore, Katniss’s town, District 12, is depicted through small details such as, “The black cinder streets are empty. Shutters on the squat gray houses are closed” (4). The focus of the points forms a dark, dreary mood over the setting while keeping readers interested. The use of imagery and specific details creates a very strong setting, which in turn improves the book.
Finally, youths can enjoy the book’s captivating plot. The pace of the plot does not slow or halt. When discussing a looming problem with her ally and new friend Rue, Katniss says, “And for the first time, I have a plan…. “I think we’re going to have to fix that, Rue”” (207). This scene leads into the event below. The author creates a chain of nonstopping events leading from one to another. Moreover, the story’s excitement does not stop. In a scene in the arena where Katniss shoots through a bag of apples to trigger an explosion, the event is described as, “Then the apples spill to the ground and I’m blown backward into the air” (221). The use of a cliffhanger makes the incident is one of many where the reader almost cannot wait for the next scene. It carries the reader from one event to the next. Teens will find that they will be fascinated by the continuous action and exhilaration.
It is clear that Suzanne Collins was able to create a teen masterpiece in The Hunger Games. The characters seem to reach out figuratively to connect with readers. The marvelous setting is created using strong style and word choice to paint a mental picture. The fast pace of action and thrill establishes a very engaging storyline appealing to youths. The Hunger Games is truly an excellent choice for any adolescents seeking to find a fabulous book to enjoy.

GlitterDust said...
GlitterDust, Mooresville, North Carolina
This is an amazing book that I'd recommend anyone to read. I own the book, and read it over and over again. Sooner or later, I'll have the whole thing memorized! xD (Team Gale :D)

LaLaLa said...

LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! n this quote cuz its so me

"You've got about as much charm as a dead slug"~ Haymitch

kissingdawn331 SILVER, Palatine, Illinois

"when your hourglass runs out of sand you can't flip it over and start again."(changes weekly so check next weeks l8er)

i loved this book...team petta...long live rue

SillyLilli23 said...
on Nov. 12 2009 at 9:18 am
The book is awesome. the review was out standing! Katniss Rocks. Peeta is soo cute. Gale is a knock out. Prim is soo sweet. Long live Rue! Down with Presedent Snow. GOD BLESS

Breakdancegrl SILVER, San Antonio, Texas

"Anything below perfection is complete and utter failure" Hugh Himwich
"What the hell is a Hufflepuff?" Dumbledore: A Very Potter Musical

This book is AWESOME, peanut u rock, dont worry

djgdshfguys said...
no u aint u probably 2 so u r weird

i am 49 years old ok dont make fun of me

i know mcsqueze and he said he s reporting u and funinthesun so back off my man

OOSUNSHINE said...
oooo whatt a boookkkk..... so tru mcsqeezy