State of Fear This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

State of Fear is an exciting novel from the mind of Michael Crichton that fully accentuates his ability to create a thrilling piece of literature.

With the mysterious death of environmental philanthropist George Morton, his lawyer Peter Evans, assistant Sarah Jones, and friend and MIT professor John Kenner are dragged into a series of eco-terrorist plots from the frozen glaciers of Antarctica to the sultry forests of Gareda. They are the only people who can stop the Earth Liberation Front.

The most appealing aspect of this book (as in some of Crichton's more recent novels like Timeline and Prey) is that the plot of the book doesn't get bogged down with the over development of some scientific concept that will later drive the story. Science does play a vital role, but Crichton reviews many aspects of science and is better able to develop that story.

The story itself is a thrill ride. Beginning with many seemingly random events, the protagonists slowly put the pieces together to reveal a complex plot. Every moment is full of page-turning suspense.