Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl | Teen Ink

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl is a very inspirational and moving journal that should be read by everyone, especially students. Not only will many relate to it, but it is valuable for both the mind and the heart. Touching and poignant, the story reveals the history of World War II, unforgettable people, and lessons that will stay in your heart forever.

While reading Anne Frank, I learned lots about what really happened during World War II. It was an unimaginable horror: millions of innocent people dying at the hands of biased obsession. Reading this really took me back to 1944 and put me right there in the Secret Annex with its residents, holding my breath as Nazi troops passed by on the streets below.

The wisdom I gained will remain with me forever. Now I see the Holocaust as something more than a tragedy we learn about in school: it seems more real, more horrific, and somehow bigger and worse than I had imagined.

Each character clearly has its own personality, ranging from extremely argumentative to unbelievably gregarious, and each adds a different flavor to the journey. I truly felt connected to these eight hiding away, as if I had known them forever. Sometimes, it was as if Anne and I were best friends, sitting there and talking. Other times I could feel Mrs. Van Daan's stinging comments.

Knowing these people were real, that they lived and died at the hands of the Nazis, brought an interesting perspective to the story. These weren't made-up characters, they once walked this earth. In the end, I felt attached to them and their stories, and I know other students will, too.

No one can read The Diary of Anne Frank and not take away a very valuable lesson. Focusing on the problems of growing up, dealing with tough times, and the never-ending power of hope, these concepts really strengthened my morals and virtues. Throughout the book, young people will be able to relate to Anne's quarrels with her sister and parents, and everyone understands how hard it is to face your biggest fears. Anne will teach us all something to save forever: I know she taught me.

After reading this treasured book, I felt humbled, more knowledgeable and genuinely touched. Anne Frank's diary will help everyone through the toughest and most confusing times with her famous words, “Despite everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.”