Far North by Will Hobbs | Teen Ink

Far North by Will Hobbs

October 15, 2009
By Anonymous

The book “Far North” is a great book that, if you like the outdoors or you want to know how to survive in the wilderness, you should read it.

“Far North” is about a kid named Gabe Rogers who is in Canada to see his dad. His dad works far away and Gabe only gets to see him every once in a while. Gabe meets a kid named Raymond and they quickly become friends.
Then Gabe and Raymond head north, both have different reasons. Gabe is going to see his father and Raymond is going back to his reservation. While they are in the airplane the pilot asks Gabe if he wants to go see the mountains. Gabe said sure. Then something changes and the plane has something wrong with it and they start to go down. The pilot dispatches mayday, mayday, and mayday and know one responds.
The pilot then lands the plane in the river and nobody gets hurt but that was the least of their problems. They were in a fast moving river and at the end of the river was a waterfall. Gabe and Raymond grab the canoe paddles out of the back of the plane and paddle for their lives for shore. They finally get there and tie the plane to a tree but the current of the river is to strong and the tree gets pulled out of the ground. The pilot was still in the plane and he disappears over the waterfalls, along with his plane. Gabe and Raymond are left to fend for their selves.
Gabe and Raymond make a shelter and a fire. Then go hunting and shoot a moose. That was the first real meal they had in about a week. The next day they make a raft and decide to go down the river before it freezes.
They go down the river and make it as far as they could go. Next Gabe and Raymond put on their snowshoes and hike through the mountains. After hiking in the mountains for weeks, then Raymond saw someone. It was Raymond little cousin, Jimmy. They were so happy to see people, especially people they knew.


The author's comments:
I liked this book a lot and would recommend it to anyone who like the outdoors.