Harry, A History by Melissa Anelli | Teen Ink

Harry, A History by Melissa Anelli

October 11, 2009
By lumos_nox BRONZE, North Tonawanda, New York
lumos_nox BRONZE, North Tonawanda, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I am one of the millions who will be able to tell my children and grandchildren that I knew what it was like to live in anxious anticipation, to live when the Harry Potter series was unfinished. I will be one of the few who will be able to spin those children tales of midnight release parties, intense debates, “duels” with my best friends, and shipping wars. I grew up alongside Harry and the Harry Potter fandom, and through them I forged some of my closet friendships. That is why when I read Harry, A History by Melissa Anelli, my eyes filled with tears as I remembered the times that molded my childhood into the magical era it once was.

There aren’t many people who can say they hold random conversations about Harry Potter with strangers. Neither will many people say their day has been effectively made by a miniscule reference to the boy wizard. It’s hard for me to pick up Harry, A History in public places because it stirs that inner witch inside of me, that part of me that is absolutely positive that my Hogwarts letter simply got lost in the post. Sometimes I forget just how much this series means to me, but then I pick up this book and forgetting is impossible. Harry Potter is far from just a book series, it’s a world all on its own. A world filled with real people who all have experienced this amazing tale.
Many of my most cherished memories center around the Harry Potter universe, around twenty four hours of straight reading, the random casting of spells, and movie parties. Harry Potter changed my life in a way I will never forget, and I harbor the hope that the children of future generations will have the ability to experience the same magical times as I did.


The author's comments:
I wrote this as an essay for admission to a boarding school I will no longer be applying to.