From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank by Joshua Tickell is an excellent guide on how to run a diesel automobile on vegetable oil. It tells how to do this by making biodiesel (refined vegetable oil through a process called transesterification) or by modifying the car itself to burn straight oil. The book provides an overview of the principle and the pros and cons behind each method as well as detailed instructions on how to do each.

This is an excellent read for anyone thinking about converting a car to run on vegetable oil or wondering about how this alternative-energy technology works. This book is easy to read for all levels of chemistry expertise and auto mechanics.

Tickell's primary reason for writing this book is to create a bible on vegetable oil fuels based on the findings from the major developers of this technology that are scattered all over the U.S., such as Greasecar, Gresil and JourneyToForever.org. He seems to be quite an authority on these systems and has done several car conversions as well as his own research on improving biodiesel performance in cold climates. He has also written many articles for JourneyToForever.org. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is the least bit interested in alternative energy, or looking for a cool science project.