The Joy Luck Club This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

A beautifully written novel by Amy Tan, The Joy Luck Club takes us inside the lives of four Chinese women and their American-born daughters. Their stories, both powerful and captivating, tell us of hardship and wealth, hate and love, sadness and rejoicing, fear and hope. It will draw you in until you feel like you have become a part of their lives.

Even though their stories vary in how they grew up and came to the United States, the mothers are very similar. They all want their daughters to grow up in America and have opportunities, but also want their daughters to retain Chinese values and customs.

The daughters are actually quite similar: they are Americanized and do not understand the significance of their Chinese heritage. This is the book's central theme: different generations of women trying to understand each other.

I highly recommend The Joy Luck Club - its message transcends ages and backgrounds. No matter how different you may be from your family, you will always be connected to them through your heritage.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 30, 2011 at 8:26 am
I like your review~ You've managed to summarize the book in a compelling way. Good job!

Writingstar said...

I like your review.

I would like to go read that book now!