Lucky by Alice Sebold | Teen Ink

Lucky by Alice Sebold

By Joanna.S SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Joanna.S SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

I first chose Lucky by Alice Sebold for my summer reading, but as soon as I started reading it, I couldn’t put the book down! This story will touch the hearts of anybody, especially the average teenage girl. When I first looked at the book, I assumed that it was about luck, and how you receive it in different ways. As soon as I read the first chapter, I imagined myself in the shoes of a helpless girl who was being raped. Every detail of Sebold’s rape was mentioned; I could see every detail vividly, whether I liked it, or not.

This book describes the triumph one can take after being sexually assaulted. Throughout the story, Sebold tells how she struggled through college after her assault. Some of the details mentioned are touching, while other details were heart wrenching. If anyone picks up this book, I guarantee that they will get hooked; I know I did. Anyone can try to imagine themselves in the shoes of a young college student trying to get over their rape. With the help of “Lucky”, anyone can vividly imagine how they can overcome rape, especially how Alice Sebold did.

I highly recommend this book to any girl from the age of 14 and older. Some content in the book is graphic, but it does teach a great lesson that anyone can interpret into their own words. Some may not be mature enough to read this, only because of how the rape is portrayed. There are no limits in this book, and Sebold really “tells it like it is”. She describes how she goes through her rape and how she goes above it and becomes a better person. This book really tells a reader how to appreciate everything they take for granted, because it could all be gone in a flash.

Joanna.S SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
I did find the opening a little too graphic for my liking. But, when I thought about it, it gave me the understanding of what happens. And I did find it hard to get out of my mind, but it did eventually. and thanks! I worked hard on it! :)

Sister said...
Sister, Fort Recovery, Ohio
Joanna,

I was wondering...did you find the opening chapter too much to handle? Especially for teens? I loved the book and loved your review, but the beginning is so graphic, did you find it hard to shake from your mind?