Something Wicked This Way Comes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes is a definitive classic in the fantasy genre. One of many renowned novels by this prolific author, it stands as a testament to Bradbury's writing. Throughout the story, he uses reminiscent language and pulls the reader into the story's dark depths, fantastically describing every aspect as you descend.

The plot deals with two young boys, William Halloway and Jim Nightshade, who are thrown into a nightmare after witnessing a traveling carnival's terrible secret. While the overbearing and horrific plot keeps the reader enthralled, an underlying theme, even more frightening, pervades the novel.

The author's subtle, primary point is what truly makes this story a horror classic. Many characters are assailed by their fears, most of which are commonplace (such as fears of old age, loneliness, and death) and allow us to empathize with the characters. By weaving in our actual fears, Bradbury plays our nature against us, chilling readers and bringing the story to a resting place embedded deep in our memories.

Bradbury's unique style in this dark fantasy has an unnatural ability to haunt the reader, which makes it a classic. He

uses captivating metaphors and detailed imagery, making readers feel like they are lost deep in the mirror maze. With such imagery, it is easy to see how Bradbury plays your own fears like an instrument, plucking here and there with each description, fully engaging all senses.

In the end, Bradbury opts to lead his story down the path of salvation, pulling you from the dark of night into early dawn. The finality of the ending slams the story shut on a powerful note, leaving little in the shadows.

Considering the literary talent and extraordinary prose, it is easy to see how Something Wicked This Way Comes has kept its charm over the last 40 years and influenced writers like Stephen King. Even though the age of the story is apparent, a taste for nostalgia is what sets this story apart, earning it the recognition that it deserves as a true timeless classic.

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow nice job on getting so much work in the magazine! I recently wrote my first review, but I don't know how to set the cover of the book as the picture. Could you tell me how?