All Creatures Great and Small This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

All things bright and beautiful,

All creatures great and small,

All things wise and wonderful,

The Lord God made them all.

- Cecil Frances Alexander

In All Creatures Great and Small, James Herriot takes the reader through his life as a new veterinarian in Scotland during the 1930's. We grow with the advancing technology and realize how lucky we, and our animals, are to have it. Herriot shows you what a vet must endure, taking us into the wind, rain, snow and scorching hot weather of a field veterinarian.

Herriot introduces all his patients. My favorite, and the most hilarious, is Mrs. Pumprey, a rich lady who feeds cake to her obese Pekingese, Tricki, and calls Herriot “Tricki's Dear Uncle Herriot.” She also comes up with strange names for problems that Tricki is having, such as Cracker Dog and FlopBott.

Herriot describes how busy a vet is, from going on strange calls to birthing calves at 2 a.m. in the rain. However, this story doesn't involve just animals, it also shows his life with Helen.

In All Creatures Great and Small Herriot does a great job pulling the reader into his story and his life. This is an easy book to read, yet it's intriguing enough to hold readers interested for hours on end. He gives wonderful descriptions of the scenery, the people (who are often quite funny), the animals, and how he feels and handles his experiences.

This hilarious, wonderful story is a great book for anyone who loves animals and may wish to be a vet themselves. All Creatures Great and Small is a good, intriguing book. Give yourself a treat and read it!

jacktorrance77 said...
The Yorkshire dales are not in Scotland. That should be clear after reading the book.

joanofarc15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love this book! I am a fantasy freak, but this book just was perfect. I love Herriot's voice, which stays strong throughout the whole book. Nice review!!

faith replied...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:40 am

Hi there!

I'm a second language teacher(ESL) and I wanted to ask you if you thought All creatures great and small would be a good choise for my students? I'M looking for smt wholesome and uplifting. Also, what themes can be brought up with this book? Any suggestions? I'm looking for smt for boys?

Thanks!

Nathalie from Qc

Moonraisin12 said...
Jun. 1, 2009 at 2:43 am
I am only a kid and I LOVE this book. So many people my age don't appreciate it, but I love it. Tristan is really funny. So is Mrs. Pumphrey. But I like ALL the characters. I have seen the whole TV series (on VHS) and it is just as good. I highly recommend this book, especially for animal lovers and people with a good sense of humor. Herriot is one of the best authors EVER!!!