Still Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

From galloping toward the next obstacle to lying in a hospital - who knew that a life could change so dramatically in just a minute? “Superman” actor Christopher Reeve lived an adventurous life before his horse-riding accident in 1995, but afterward was paralyzed from the neck down. His book, Still Me, is the very interesting true story about a man who became a quadriplegic.

Reeve describes his time in the hospital and admits that he had thoughts of suicide. He felt it might be better for everyone if he died but his wife, Dana, said, “You’re still you and I love you.” This support made him decide to put aside those thoughts. He realized that he loved his family and wanted to be with them.

Reeve also writes about how he was friends and roommates with Robin Williams at Juilliard Drama School. This was my favorite part of the book. When Reeve was in the hospital, Williams visited dressed as a funny-looking doctor that made Reeve laugh for the first time in a very long time. Reeve really appreciated the support of his friends and family and received an enormous number of letters from fans. He even received a call from President Clinton!

I recommend Still Me. I found it very exciting to read about a movie star who loved athletic activities but had to deal with not being able to do any of these things after his fall. It made me realize that you should appreciate being able to move and do the things that we take for granted.