1984 | Teen Ink

1984 MAG

Think about the environment that surrounds you while you read this review. You are probably in a safe, reasonably comfortable place. Now, if you were in the world of 1984, you’d be reading this surrounded by telescreens that constantly watch you while announcing false but true news bulletins, posters with a moustached man known as Big Brother, and beetle-like workers. That is, of course, if you are not at home, which would be a small, more-or-less empty apartment with a telescreen to see your every move.

Originally published in 1949, the novel takes place in the super state Oceania, where the fascist, totalitarian, socialist, and omnipotent government structure, Ingsoc (English Socialism), rules the land. Ingsoc encourages the system of thought known as doublethink (“the power of holding two contradictory beliefs simultaneously, and accepting both of them”) and thus creates the three slogans that summarize the world of 1984: “War is Peace,” “Freedom is Slavery,” “Ignorance is Strength.”

The protagonist is Winston Smith, a man who thinks and remembers too much for his own good. Little by little, he

realizes that things are not as they should be and they should change. With this idea, a strong instinct, and an ethical mind, he hazards his life - the life of “the last man in Europe.”

An extremely moving, well-written, interesting, anti-totalitarian, and quite scary book, 1984 takes first place in my book rankings. And with Orwell’s brilliant mind and his succinct, vivid style, you can’t go wrong. But don’t think this is a fun read. It is serious - Orwell changed history with this book that sparked a realization and motivation in me, and may in you, too.

i love this !

CelloGal101 BRONZE, Henderson, Nevada

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

I finished reading this book today, and the first two parts were very good. However, I didn't like the second part that much. Also, it didn't end the way I think it should have; but overall, this piece is a modern classic that you should read.

satellite23 GOLD, Cincinnati, Ohio

Prove it.

I thought the book was written in 1948, not 1949. 84 is 48 reversed, I think that is why Orwell decided to name that title.

IdSmurfThat BRONZE, Sterling, Virginia

"You shut your dirty mouth!"

I first read this book my freshman year of high school and thought it was so bad. I read it again about a year later, and I understand it a lot more now. I agree with this 100% because it really is a fantastic book. It is my number two book and I would suggest that everyone reads it at some point in their life. Fantastic!