Atonement | Teen Ink

Atonement MAG

By Anonymous

     In Atonement, a gripping novel about adolescence and war, Ian McEwan weaves an extraordinary tale about the life-long effects of an impulsive accusation made by a 13-year-old girl. Chronicling the characters’ lives from that fateful day through wartime allows McEwan to develop a truly unique and effective novel.

Briony, a budding, imaginative writer and the protagonist of the story, witnesses a confrontation at the fountain between her sister Cecilia and childhood friend, Robbie. She later sees what she perceives as Robbie attacking her sister in the library, and when a heinous crime is committed on the family’s property later that night, Briony doesn’t hesitate to accuse Robbie.

The story picks up five years later during WWII with Robbie as an infantryman fighting to survive the British retreat to Dunkirk so he can come home to his love.

Briony, meanwhile, is training to be a nurse in London, but she still writes and submits her manuscripts for publication. During these five years, Briony matures into a young woman who now doubts her late-night accusation. A rejection letter from the publishing company connects her to her estranged sister and Briony realizes it is time to face her doubts.

Encompassing the effects of immaturity, war, love, and forgiveness, McEwan is able to create a surprisingly original novel. Alternating points of view supplement the already intertwining plot creating an effect that increases the reader’s understanding of the characters while maintaining multiple stories. Eloquent description adds fluency to the narrative, making for an enjoyable read.

Through his characters, themes, and unique storyline, McEwan has created a literary masterpiece for all readers.