Generation Dead by Daniel Waters | Teen Ink

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

September 5, 2009
By Anonymous

Countless times, I walked past Generation Dead at the local Barnes & Noble without giving it a second thought. After all, it seemed like just another forgettable, mainstream teen novel.

Every time I went to the bookstore I saw this novel and barely even registered it a glance. But on this one particular day, I decided to pick it up and read the back, just to see what it could possibly be about.

The back cover told me that the story was about American teenagers who were coming back to life after they died, trying to live amongst a society that didn't want them there. It seemed sort of sci-fi to me, but I decided to purchase the book and see how I liked it.

I started the book that night and could barely put it down. Instead of the sci-fi narrative I had imagined, the book explored the realms of human culture, telling an explosive story about the harsh judgments of society against those that we don't approve of. And through it all, a more subtle love story blossomed.

I would recommend Generation Dead to anyone and everyone. This book truly stayed with me after I finished it and even now, I still find myself thinking about the plague of those dead children. Generation Dead teaches an important lesson about acceptance amongst society as well as tells a fantastic and interesting story.