The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky by Farah Ahmedi with Tamim Ansary This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky, Farah Ahmedi writes about life in Afghanistan, Germany, Pakistan, and America. Her memoir is enlightening, especially for teens who have never lived in other countries.

Farah Ahmedi, currently a college student, wrote her story for ABC’s “Good Morning America” contest. She won, and has since visited everywhere from the White House to libraries. Now she is the Youth Ambassador for Adopt-A-Minefield, an organization that eliminates minefields and helps minefield victims like her.

When Farah was in second grade, she stepped on a landmine, which led to the loss of her leg. “I was late for school,” writes Farah, “and that’s all I could think about. I started across the field. And then suddenly a fire flashed in my face and the earth seemed to move beneath my feet. I remember a shower of soil and then nothing.” Ahmedi describes the pain, hopeless confusion, and horror she suffered as a result of her injury. In Germany she benefited from better care and prosthetic treatment and spent two years away from her family, often feeling very lonely. Later, Farah lost her father and sisters when a rocket hit their house.

Farah and her mother escaped to Pakistan, where she worked as a servant, tolerating harsh treatment and hunger, but she never gave up. Despite all the tragedy she endured, Farah’s faith only grew stronger. Now her book inspires people everywhere to persevere during hard times.

In America, Farah’s life took a turn for the better, although adjusting to a foreign culture was difficult. Farah went to school, but had no American friends. She writes, “I know it’s hard for American students to reach out to us refugees ... But ... It’s harder for us to reach out to you - we, with our clumsy English. I want to say, ‘Don’t be afraid of us - you have to understand: We’re afraid of you.’” Farah has an important point: too often high school students fail to reach out to others.

Farah Ahmedi’s book is heartwrenching and powerful. It’s as if you’re in the same room as Farah, listening to her tell her story, allowing you to relive her life as if you’d been there. Farah Ahmedi is an amazing person who has made an impact with her miraculous story.

Scribbleaway. said...
Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:54 am
Would love to read it. 

lalala said...
good book i love it

CrystalAngelDol said...
May 11, 2012 at 9:44 am
might read this book, excellent review

Cassie444 said...
Oct. 6, 2011 at 8:08 am
love this book

tennis4life>> said...
I agree i loved this book!! very good review