The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Though I usually prefer science fiction and fantasy, reading The Outsiders was a phenomenal experience. The story line is good, but what sparked my interest is how S. E. Hinton, who was 16 at the time she created this, writes. Everything flows smoothly, and with so much detail. You get to know the characters so well it’s hard to believe the story just covers one week of their lives. This book is extremely hard to put down.

The Outsiders is about a gang of “greasers,” or underprivileged teenagers, living on the east side of Tulsa, Oklahoma. They are constantly under attack from the rich west-side Socs, and have parties and rumbles all the time. The narrator, the orphan Ponyboy Curtis, pretty much knows what to expect from his day - school, track, homework, football at the lot - until one of his friends takes the greaser-Soc battle too far.

From that point, Ponyboy can barely keep track of what is happening. He goes from hopping a train to escape a crime scene to being in the newspaper as a juvenile delinquent hero. Everything seems to move too fast to handle. To find out the whole story, read the book!

If you like symbolism, this novel has plenty, but the main one is to “stay gold.” The book has a strong message of staying young and innocent. It teaches us not to create a shell to block emotions and the importance of friendship. This is one book you definitely will not want to skip.

wolfie17 said...
Apr. 27, 2010 at 7:27 am:
I was never made to read any of her books. I read them on my own and love all of them. I'm writing a report on her and her writing style. I'm in 11th grade and hope to become an author myself.

Chilie5678 replied...
Apr. 29, 2010 at 8:37 pm :
I've read the book five times and had've LOVED it sice the first. I'm also trying to write a book

wolfie17 replied...
May 10, 2010 at 6:19 am :
What is your book about

Chilie5678 replied...
May 14, 2010 at 8:03 pm :
a girl who dreams come to the real world

Horsewriterlol This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 7:01 pm:
I ve read this book over 13 times! I stil cant put it down. Every thing flows and its even got some horsey peices in it. Out of all her books, this one was my favorite. Its the best book you ll ever read.

leader said...
Jan. 26, 2010 at 11:21 am:
It's a classic for a reason!

Stina said...
Jan. 1, 2010 at 5:49 am:
The Outsiders is one of my favourite books! Like you said the author draws you in and explains in such wonderful detail all the characters that it almost felt real. S.E.Hinton is a great inspiration for young writers since she was just 16 when she wrote the book!

Sallymae said...
The Outsiders is an amazing book!! I love how, even though it was written before our time, we can relate to it. No I don't live in a neighborhood that's like that, but how they feel and how their life goes it just like any teenage kid! Anyone who has not read this book really needs to read it!! It's the best book you'll ver read!! You should read all S.E. Hinton's books! She incredible!!!

PurpleMidnight said...
This book was amazing! We did a mock trial when Johnny was accused of...well I don't want to ruin the book, but I was defending Johnny and I lost unfortunetly. Lol, now Johnny has 10 years in prison. Anyway, it was a tremedous book! Great review.

Kaylee replied...
Nov. 28, 2010 at 8:43 pm :
10 years of jail beats what really happened to him... lol.

spontaneous09 said...
Nov. 26, 2009 at 12:37 am:
I absolutely ador this book! It was written in older times but it relates to everyone in the present.Though I don't live in a neighborhood quite like that I recognized the emotions of the characters. They're emotions that many of us experience as teenagers. It is amazingly written.
And, I didn't know she was 16 when she wrote this. Man, I need to write a book!

moondrop03 said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 10:57 am:
i was said at the end of The Outsider!!!!

AnniTheBeast! said...
not to sound obsessed or anything but
when i was in 6th grade my english teacher made me read this.
not only did i read it two and a half times after that, attemped(and failed) to write a sequil, still just love it, payed my best friend 20 dolars for her copy, and have now joined the 6th grade class this year so i car re-read it and do all the work. i am also helping my friends who are still reading it with great excitment.
this was a great review, if i were to read this bo... (more »)

dragongirl replied...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 4:14 pm :
haha no its ok im obsessed also :)...we read it in 8th grade, and over the summer i read it again 3 times. i think i can recite the first 5 pages. if you liked the outsiders, check out her other books also, like That was Then, This is Now and Rumble Fish...they're good too. kind of the same theme with really strong characters.

Just_Another_Shadow replied...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 5:54 pm :
that sounds good accuallly. thanks for the reference!

Maryann K. said...
Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:30 am:
Nice review by the way.

bitchbag800 said...
May 19, 2009 at 2:17 pm:
its a very good review and its jus like da book

whistle said...
May 19, 2009 at 2:02 am:
i,m in 8th grade and my teacher made me read it and i loved it. now i,m writting an essay on it.

Billy Bob (: ): said...
May 8, 2009 at 1:22 pm:
it was good....................................it could be better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speacialk8force8 said...
May 8, 2009 at 1:21 pm:
I thought your book review was good and hope to read the book someday.