The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Though I usually prefer science fiction and fantasy, reading The Outsiders was a phenomenal experience. The story line is good, but what sparked my interest is how S. E. Hinton, who was 16 at the time she created this, writes. Everything flows smoothly, and with so much detail. You get to know the characters so well it’s hard to believe the story just covers one week of their lives. This book is extremely hard to put down.

The Outsiders is about a gang of “greasers,” or underprivileged teenagers, living on the east side of Tulsa, Oklahoma. They are constantly under attack from the rich west-side Socs, and have parties and rumbles all the time. The narrator, the orphan Ponyboy Curtis, pretty much knows what to expect from his day - school, track, homework, football at the lot - until one of his friends takes the greaser-Soc battle too far.

From that point, Ponyboy can barely keep track of what is happening. He goes from hopping a train to escape a crime scene to being in the newspaper as a juvenile delinquent hero. Everything seems to move too fast to handle. To find out the whole story, read the book!

If you like symbolism, this novel has plenty, but the main one is to “stay gold.” The book has a strong message of staying young and innocent. It teaches us not to create a shell to block emotions and the importance of friendship. This is one book you definitely will not want to skip.

Pseudonym329This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 10 at 6:35 pm:
OK, I know this will seem really random to post on a random article, but I really need ideas for a WWII play\movie, but I have no ideas! Could someone please post an idea on one of my articles and I swear I will put you in the credits for ideas, even though it isn't a big movie or whatever. I'm freaking out and I would've written this on an article but (1) most articles don't get published for like a month and I need this in like a week, and (2) no one would read it anyways, but ... (more »)

Call_Me_AriaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 19 at 5:36 pm:
I read this book and I loved it! Thanks for writing a review!

C.J. said...
I read this book in seventh grade and that is the only book that touched me.

ChobaniLuvinPenguin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Michael, great review! It's unique and to the point. You touch upon all the important aspects of the book, and your opinions are clearly presented. It also flows very well. :)

sexy mama said...
this book is one of the best thing i acuelly ever read good job to who ever made this book much love  

killem 87 replied...
Mar. 6 at 1:25 pm :
true true yall be welcome lol

I.R.B said...
The outsiders is one of my all time favorites! So much symbolism, and from someone that was 16 when she wrote it! I think Johnny Cade, is one of the greatest characters I have read about. The symbolism that he is the "Jesus Christ" character is fasinating. His innitials being J.C, how he sacrifices himself in the church to save the innocent, and references such as "You kids must be from heaven." SUCH A GOOD READ! 

KlammytThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:14 am:
I LOVE THE OUTSIDERS!!!!!!!! THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS EVER!!!!!!!!!!

Shmelmo said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm:
I read this book in 8th grade for a school report and I loved it! We watched the movie, which was also really good.

GirlIDontKnow said...
I loved "The Outsiders"! :) It was my favorite to read in seventh grade! Cherry Valence, Ponyboy Curtis, and so many other characters were just really well-developed. S.E. Hinton is an awesome author. And she was only 16?! Even more awesome/amazing! I really need to reread this novel again and relive the imagination/story! :) Great review!

holyblondecheerleaderbatman said...
i love this book i watched the movie and loved it even more so.... ya i was bored one day and me and my friends made an outsiders movie... it sucked O.o lol

poetrykid702 said...
I looooved that book, I'm naming my kid Dallas.

Nick5 said...
the "stay gold" poem that Ponyboy recite is actually really dark. it explains that no matter how hard you try everything will die. very good book and good writing on your part too.

Mac Miller said...

i like this book

Me/Myself/And/I said...
I read this book for battle of the books. Now I've watched the movie hundreds of times and become obsessed with The Outsiders

Lamb97 said...

Nature's first green is gold, 
Her hardest hue to hold. 
Her early leaf's a flower; 
But only so an hour. 
Then leaf subsides to leaf. 
So Eden sank to grief, 
So dawn goes down to day. 
Nothing gold can stay.

-Robert Frost 

Cheeseburger said...
Oct. 14, 2011 at 10:57 am:
I liked this book when I read it. Nice review.

hbp1994 said...
Oct. 3, 2011 at 8:43 am:
best book in the world! 

jessica said...
May 12, 2011 at 9:46 am:
haha this book is cool

Becca17 said...
Mar. 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm:
Great book! Amazing how the author was only 16 years old. It just gives all of us young writers great motivation today.