The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Sean Covey has followed in his famous father’s footsteps (Stephen Covey is the author of many self-help books) and written the definitive success guide for teens, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. Today’s teens are busier and more stressed than ever before. With school, hours of homework, athletics, jobs, clubs, helping at home and more, we barely have time to breathe.

When I recently read about a teenager committing suicide because of stress over homework and another who shot his father due to pressure to succeed in athletics, I realized that more books for teenagers are needed.

The 7 Habits not only serves as a guide for teens to improve their self image, build friendships, resist peer pressure and achieve goals, but it offers hope. Reading it, you realize that though you may be struggling now, with hard work and a vision you can overcome any obstacle. This is explored through real-life examples from teens around the world who share their experiences and the habits they have developed to overcome obstacles.

The seven habits are: 1) Be proactive; 2) Begin with the end in mind; 3) Put first things first; 4) Think win-win; 5) Seek first to understand, then be understood; 6) Synergize and 7) Sharpen the saw. Mixed in are cartoons, famous quotes, song lyrics, poems and other classic techniques to keep you interested. I found the baby steps listed at the end of each chapter and the various activities extremely helpful. The Great Discovery Activity in particular really helped me understand myself and what is important in my life. That is the first step in developing a personal mission statement and setting goals.

In summary, I found the book highly engaging and a must-read for any teenager looking for inspiration and motivation to succeed. This book is a compass to guide us through the land mines of adolescence and into a value-driven adulthood. It is not surprising that The 7 Habits was a national best-seller.

selenagfan said...
What are you talking about 7 habits? I read them, and it didn't make any sence to me at all.

xZajmi said...
Too bad you still never learned to spell D;

Paigerouni97 said...
I believe that this book was also very confusing because it just jumpped around to different topics constantly and I agree that the title is very long. It was annoying to be constantly typing it.

squirt replied...
that shows just how lazy you are.

goofychick said...
I disagree...this book was amazing read it again and you will understand it better :)

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 6:32 am

I loved the review, it was very well organized and had just the right amount of personal experience.

That being said, I hate this book with a burning passion. I even hate the title. The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. Highly Effective! Like we're building plans or something! The supposedly miraculous 7 steps do nothing more than state the obvious. I enjoyed some of the cartoons and poems mixed in, but as for the actual writing, I thought I was going to commit suicide if I read one ... (more »)

Duhhh replied...
If its so obvious, why arent these actions taken more often by teens then?

Katie S. said...
I had to read this at school, we didn't get to finish it before the end of the year, and although quite nerdy,  read it over the summer becasue i wanted to finish it ;)

9-11&4-20are sad said...
this is an awsome book. it made such an inpretion on my life

earlybird_8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I read the book and it didn't really inspire me. It seemed like the type of book for struggling teens who aspire to mediocrity. If someone you know is likely to fall into drug use/alcoholism/juvenile delinquency, then I would recommend it for them. I just found that most of the strategies it proposed were ones that I was already doing, so it wasn't helpful.

IcePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This book has changed my life.  I was not a great person before, and I knew I wasn't but I didn't know how to change it, and when my mom got me this, it was shelved for a couple months.  I finally got around to reading it and it has completely changed my perspective on everything!!! Great review, too, I really liked it.

spiceyredpepper said...
i don't get this book AT ALL and we read it in class! sorry

QuestionAuthority1128 said...
I liked your review; you're a good writer. As for the book... I can't stand it. Teachers give us assignments from it and we have classes for it that we have to attend sometimes, and I think that the 7 Habits are bogus.

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 6:34 am
I agree. State the obvious much, Sean Covey?

Duhhh replied...
sounds like you guys are failures.

Mickey345678665 said...
This book Sucks.... i had to read this in class and i could barley read it that how much it sucks. Never read this book if u know what is good for you

Dakdak. said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:30 am
I read this book and it totally changed my life for the best!

liyah sharee replied...
ilove gthis book i want it so badd......it would help me alot in lifee...thanks for making such a great review and explaining things im going to by it

Dakdak. replied...
Nov. 16, 2009 at 6:50 am
Yeah, I turned a lot of my friends on to it and they all loved it!

UnreadMind62695 said...
i have to read this for one of my classes its an great book for class but an oka book for the general day to day reading