The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Sean Covey has followed in his famous father’s footsteps (Stephen Covey is the author of many self-help books) and written the definitive success guide for teens, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. Today’s teens are busier and more stressed than ever before. With school, hours of homework, athletics, jobs, clubs, helping at home and more, we barely have time to breathe.

When I recently read about a teenager committing suicide because of stress over homework and another who shot his father due to pressure to succeed in athletics, I realized that more books for teenagers are needed.

The 7 Habits not only serves as a guide for teens to improve their self image, build friendships, resist peer pressure and achieve goals, but it offers hope. Reading it, you realize that though you may be struggling now, with hard work and a vision you can overcome any obstacle. This is explored through real-life examples from teens around the world who share their experiences and the habits they have developed to overcome obstacles.

The seven habits are: 1) Be proactive; 2) Begin with the end in mind; 3) Put first things first; 4) Think win-win; 5) Seek first to understand, then be understood; 6) Synergize and 7) Sharpen the saw. Mixed in are cartoons, famous quotes, song lyrics, poems and other classic techniques to keep you interested. I found the baby steps listed at the end of each chapter and the various activities extremely helpful. The Great Discovery Activity in particular really helped me understand myself and what is important in my life. That is the first step in developing a personal mission statement and setting goals.

In summary, I found the book highly engaging and a must-read for any teenager looking for inspiration and motivation to succeed. This book is a compass to guide us through the land mines of adolescence and into a value-driven adulthood. It is not surprising that The 7 Habits was a national best-seller.

Deej6595 said...
Your review was short but, gave enough information for people to decide to read the book. I will definitely be looking for this in the library.

sallysunnshine replied...
May 26 at 11:27 am :
but atleast the imformation was. good but yeah u better read it cause it very awesome u would like it!!!.

SAAMAANTHAA said...
Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:18 am:
We just got this book a few weeks ago in homeroom classes and we're reading it at school :) It's been very interesting so far

Someone said...
This book is ******* awesome!

Anonomus said...
I give the book a “thumbs up”. It was very engaging by having multiple interactive activities and had some “baby steps”, a way to actually put what was in the previous chapter to the test. Also it was reliable, there were many references to website were also reliable. There was also a HUGE bibliography. The book was definitely beneficial, for it moved me with these poems/stories I listed, and there were a few online posts about how it was useful to other people.   ... (more »)

johnny64670 said...
Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:44 am:
im a freshmen and we are reading dthis book with our prinsiple every tuesday it is a great book to get you going in life

iChristie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm:
I read this book in 7th grade, really helpful. : )

LinkinPark12 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:34 am:
I've actually read this book as a present from my parents for Christmas. It's not bad, got some good tips.

ChobaniLuvinPenguinThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I just began reading this book and had my doubts, but your wonderful review made me realize how beneficial this book could really be. Your review is well phrased and flows nicely, which makes it very persuasive and sophisticated. You also make it clear that many teenagers will benefit from the book just like you did. Awesome job!!!

LB1021This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:58 pm:
My school recommended me reading this book before I enter 9th grade this year. I can definately inderstand why they did, and agree with what you said.

Breanne said...
Jun. 5, 2012 at 4:17 pm:
I had a class in 9th grade (last year) and it was called "7 Habits." This was the book that we would read for our textbook. All the quizes/tests came straight from this book.

erie mandrick said...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:26 am:

this book is sounding like a quite decent book after having gone through the book  i found that it is a quite learning book

MaxRide said...
Mar. 20, 2012 at 8:18 am:
This book is like my second bible!  I love it, it is so helpful and makes me become a better person (hahah cliché)

gessika replied...
Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:23 pm :
It is ,i Love it ,this though me how to control life ,be proactive ect

arcanine24 said...
sounds like a decent book ;)

HorseLover said...
Dec. 23, 2011 at 8:28 am:
Our school used to make us read this book going into 8th grade (and then they stopped), but it sounds good, so I think I might read it anyway. Thanks!

shapeshifter56 said...
Sounds like a great book! Thanks for the well-written review!

Celeste_N. said...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 10:40 am:
I LOVE THAT BOOK...I READ IY LAST YEAR IN THE 8TH GRADE!!!!! IT WAS AMAZING!! REALLY INSPIRING!!!

Heart-Of-The-Wolf17 replied...
Nov. 9, 2011 at 7:09 pm :
That's funny I'm in 8th grade and I'm reading this book right now. My mom has Stephen Covey's book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. It is such a good book!

selenagfan said...
What are you talking about 7 habits? I read them, and it didn't make any sence to me at all.